Happy New Year! As we welcome 2022 and look forward to new opportunities, progress, and growth, it is important for us to take time to both reflect on the past year and set ourselves up for success in the coming year. Many of us have recently refreshed our workplans and goals for the year and have jumped back into the day-to-day after the holidays, feeling energized. You are feeling driven and ready to get started on new projects! Maybe you are driven by the fresh page this year offers, or by some of the goals you hope to achieve this year… now fast-forward a few months into the future. Do you anticipate having the same level of motivation? Let’s be honest, probably not! We encourage you to take some time this month to reflect on the past years challenges and achievements and identify where you want to be at the end of 2022. You may already have an outlined a path forward to achieve your goals, but this is not always enough. Looking at our career progression and well-being wholistically is essential, which is where New Year’s Resolutions come in! Our workplans will only get us so far, we have to put in a conscious effort to be our best selves, in order to thrive in our working environments. What exactly does this mean though? Consider some of the following, as you set aside time to make a few New Year’s Resolutions:
- What am I doing to stay healthy at work?
- Am I taking time to get up from my desk regularly to stretch or walk around? Am I making time to exercise or get my steps in throughout the week? Am I eating a balanced breakfast and lunch?
- What am I doing to improve myself?
- This will look different for everyone – we have all faced a great deal of change and have recognized the importance of being able to adapt, and adapt quickly. Consider expanding your outlook on various topics by picking up a book or listening to a podcast. Go into it with an open mind and choose diverse content.
- As a professional, how am I positioning myself to my network?
- Dedicate time to updating your LinkedIn profile, or perhaps your resume.
- Have I been leveraging networking opportunities?
- Put yourself out there and make professional connections! Open yourself up to learning, volunteering, and professional opportunities by building relationships.
- Reflect on your work-life balance in 2021
- Frankly, did you have enough of it? Are you setting appropriate boundaries at work? Are you stepping away from your computer to take breaks? What are you going to do for yourself this year?
- What will I do for others this year?
- Consider volunteer opportunities and charities you may want to be involved with. Perhaps this can even be a team activity!
- What am I doing to step out of my comfort zone?
- We can all recognize that growth comes from stepping outside of our comfort zone! Try something new or learn a new skill
Now that you have some things to consider, DEDICATE time in your calendar to writing down your New Year’s Resolutions and making yourself an action plan. Don’t make this complicated! Write down something you will do every month to help you stay on track with your resolution and re-evaluate this quarterly. Want to break it down even further? At the beginning of every month, make yourself a weekly task or goal, to help you achieve your monthly one. Again, put this in your calendar and hold yourself accountable! This will help to keep your resolution on your radar and allow you to make a little bit of progress every week.
We would love to hear your thoughts on this! We welcome you to reach out to us and share your 2022 New Year’s Resolutions with us!
“If I prepare well today, I won’t have to repair tomorrow”-
John C Maxwell